European Waste Reduction Awards
The most outstanding actions carried out during each edition of the European Week for Waste Reduction are rewarded every year during a European awards ceremony.
Find out about the last edition of the EWWR Awards
Prizes are granted for the most outstanding EWWR actions carried out by Project Developers from each of the following categories:
- Administration/public authority
- Educational establishment
- Other (for example hospital, retirement home, cultural institution...)
Each EWWR action submitted for registration by a Project Developer and successfully validated by an EWWR Organiser is automatically entered into the competition for the European Waste Reduction Awards.
However, the Project Developer is free to refuse by indicating on the registration form that he or she does not wish his/her action to be entered into the selection process for the Awards.
Once the edition of the Week has ended, each EWWR Organiser makes a pre-selection of a maximum of 5 actions carried out in the area covered by their authority (one action per category of Project developer), based on a set of criteria determined by the jury.
The jury then examines the shortlisted actions and designates a winner in each category.
- Visibility and communicational aspects
- Good practice, originality and exemplarity
- Quality of content and focus on waste prevention
- European reproducibility
- Follow-up in long-term and lasting impact
The jury is composed of personalities from the environmental sector who are recognised at the European level as well as professionals in the field of waste prevention.
European Waste Reduction Trophy 2010 © F. de Ribaucourt
Awards Winners EWWR 2011 edition
Among the 7035 actions carried out during the 2011 EWWR, 89 actions were pre-selected as nominees for the awards by the various organisers and submitted to the jury.
The most exemplary actions were awarded at the EWWR Awards Ceremony on 19 June 2012 in Paris, before more than 450 people.
And the Awards winners for the edition 2011 are:
- Administration & public authority category: The multi-use Styria Bottle - Specialised Division FA19D Waste and Material Flow Management, Styrian Chamber of Agriculture, Styrian winegrowing enterprises (Styria, Austria)
- Association & NGO: Waste Reduction Awareness Project - Junior Chamber International Izmir (Turkey)
- Business & industry: Green Week - Queen’s University Elms Village (Belfast, UK)
- Educational establishment: 49% Less Food Wasted in Bjurhovda School Restaurant - Bjurhovdaskolan/IDA unit (Sweden)
- Other: Better take care of the environment by reducing waste - Medica (France)
- The Jury’s favourite: The Jury has decided to deliver a special prize to highlight the high and constant quality of the actions nominated in Catalonia during the 3 editions of the European Week for Waste Reduction Awards Competition. The Award has been received by the Organiser of the Week in Catalonia, the ARC (Catalan Waste Agency)
For more information available, refer to the press file
Previous editions of the EWWR awards
Click here to find more about the 2010 Awards.
Click here to find out about the 2009 Awards.