The European Week for Waste Reduction is an initiative aiming to promote the implementation of awareness-raising actions about sustainable resource and waste management during a single week. It encourages a wide range of audiences (public authorities, private companies, civil society as well as citizens themselves) to get involved.
What are the EWWR’s objectives?
- to raise awareness about waste reduction, product reuse and material recycling strategies, and related European Union and Member States policies,
- to highlight the work accomplished by EWWR participants,
- to mobilise and encourage European citizens to concentrate on four key action themes,
- to reinforce EWWR stakeholders’ capacities by providing them with targeted communication tools and training.
What are the EWWR’s main features?
- Coordination of awareness-raising actions during one week of the year,
- Development of target-group-specific communication tools for schools, businesses, administrations/associations and citizens,
- Development and promotion of an annual Thematic Focus about one specific waste prevention topic per year,
- Development and testing of the concept of a European Clean-Up Day: “Let’s Clean Up Europe”.
The core of the message: 3Rs and a clean-up
The actions implemented in the EWWR are addressing the “3Rs”: Reduce waste, Reuse products, Recycle material. The “3Rs” represent the options which should be considered first when elaborating a waste management strategy.
Following the hierarchy illustrated above, reducing waste should always be the first priority. Reduce means using fewer resources in the first place and includes strict avoidance as well as reduction at source. The second-best option is to reuse products. This includes also preparation for reuse. Third priority and the last waste management option that is included in the EWWR is materials recycling.
Themes of actions
- Reduce - Strict avoidance and reduction at source
- Reuse - Preparing for reuse and reuse
- Recycle - Waste sorting and recycling
- Let’s Clean Up Europe!