Waste education and communication: change your ways, reduce your waste!
The Thematic Focus for 2019 is waste education and communication. Along with policymakers, producers and other stakeholders, consumers play a key role in solving the waste-related and other sustainability challenges of our time. Having access to information based on scientific evidence and adapting one’s daily habits to reflect it are essential to the prevention of waste in our society. But, for that to happen, wide-ranging behavioural change is needed.
EWWR 2019 challenges you to change your behaviour and to also teach others about waste prevention by staging inspiring communication and education activities! Our slogan for this year: Change your ways, Reduce your waste calls on children and adults, citizens and businesses, authorities and non-governmental organisations alike to take action by changing their own habits first and inspiring others to follow suit.
The compilation of factsheets, tip sheets, posters and infographics below is meant to help EWWR action developers organise waste education and communication initiatives to encourage everyone to #ReduceYourWaste. They will provide you with general information, as well as tips on how to implement these activities. Also included are interesting external resources that could serve as sources of inspiration for a wide array of activities. Stay tuned, since we will develop more tools related to this topic and will continue to update this page!
You can learn more about the thematic focus of previous EWWR editions at this link.
Factsheets and infographic
- Cómo ser un eficaz comunicador en reducir la producción de residuos - También disponible en CA - IT - EN - SV
- Despejar la casa con sentido: montando un mercadillo - También disponible en CA - ITA - EN - SV
- Actividad para la hora del almuerzo:la jerarquía del desperdicio de alimentos y ses soluciónes - También disponible en CA (Activity - Solution) - IT (Attivitá - Soluzioni) - EN (Activity - Solutions) - SV (Activity - Solution)
- Infografía: el vestuario del Europeo medio and its jpeg version - Also available in CA - IT - EN - SV (The sources for the data used to compile this document are listed in the tip sheet below)
- Hoja de consejos: Cómo darle a tu ropa una vida más - También disponible en CA - IT - EN - SV
- Actividad: el bosque de la vida - También disponible en EN - CA
Two promotional posters have been developed especially for this year’s theme. You can download their English versions here (Poster 1 in jpeg and pdf and Poster 2 in jpeg and pdf) to start inspiring others to change their habits straightaway!
The posters are also available in: German (Poster 1 and Poster 2); Italian (Poster 1 and Poster 2); Catalan (Poster 1 and Poster 2); Spanish (Poster 1 and Poster 2); Griego (Poster 1 and Poster 2 + additional tools in griego: Reusable Cup ; Reusable bag); Portuguese (Poster 2)
More versions of the posters in different languages will follow in the weeks to come.
The EWWR promotional video on the topic of waste reduction is available in 25 languages. Check out our YouTube playlist to find it in your language.
- Do Good: Save Food educational materials by UN FAO and IFWC (English)
- Do Good: Save Food educational materials in French (age group 1)
- Do Good: Save Food educational materials in French (age group 2)
- Do Good: Save Food educational materials in French (age group 3)
- Do Good: Save Food educational materials in French (age group 4)
- Garden Organic reduce, reuse, run-around game (educational game for children focused on composting and bio-waste)
- Forest of Life presentation video and Facebook page (awareness raising activity that encourages participants to reflect on the topic of waste)
- The CYCLE Competence Centre: an online hub for educational resources on circular economy
- Training kit for sustainable food systems development of the T4F project